In September, 2016, the Provost and Executive Vice President appointed a University Committee on Assessment of Learning (UCAL) with representation from the Graduate School, Undergraduate Education, Commonwealth Campuses, World Campus, Libraries, Office of Planning and Assessment, and select faculty and staff with disciplinary expertise in learning assessment to act as a unifying University body that will ensure that Penn State’s vision and efforts related to learning outcomes assessment are efficient, effective, and shared.
The mission of the University Committee on Assessment of Learning is to lead, oversee, and coordinate student learning assessment processes across the University with the goal of maintaining excellence in Penn State’s student learning experiences.
Its charge is to:
- act as an advisory group to the Provost in monitoring and review of student learning assessment processes including practices, procedures, information collection and analysis, and support for faculty;
- share ideas on innovative practices and processes with committee representatives and with the University community;
- foster coordination, communication, and collaboration in assessment processes across academic and co-curricular programs, colleges, and campuses;
- review and facilitate sharing of assessment findings with the University community;
- recommend and authorize University assessment studies on topics that affect student learning.
Committee membership, academic year 2016-2017
- Chair, Associate Vice Provost for Learning Outcomes Assessment: Barbara Masi (OPA)
- Faculty Senate: Richard Duschl (Education), Ken Keiler (Science)
- Undergraduate Education: Tanya Furman
- Director of Office for General Education: Maggie Slattery
- Graduate School: Michael Verderame
- Canvas Team: Jennifer Sparrow
- World Campus: Karen Pollack
- Commonwealth Campuses: David Christiansen, David Stone
- Student Affairs Research and Assessment: Adam Christensen
- University Libraries, Director of Assessment: Steve Borelli
- Commonwealth Campus faculty: Dawn Blasko (Behrend), Barbara Wiens-Turns (Altoona), Kenneth Thigpen (Lehigh Valley), Carey McDougall (Beaver)
- University Park College representatives: Tom Litzinger (Engineering), Paul Taylor (Liberal Arts), Peter Newman (HHD), Rama Radhakrishna (Agriculture)
- Office of Planning and Assessment: Suzanne Weinstein
Please return to this page for committee updates in the coming months.